Welcome!
Here lies Henry, a dashing fellow who selects a theme and discusses various examples
where the theme applies to his personal life.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Leave RB alone! H1 vs H2 response


Oh hey Mr. Lynn, if you're assessing one of the blog responses for the rubric, please assess this one and count the lion roar response as just a blog post of choice. Thanks!

Original blog link here: H1 VS H2

Harry, first off, please do not take any offense to the following. S'all good? Ok, next thing to mention. Unlike you, I will not be summarizing every idea of yours that I wish to discuss. So for all viewers, if you are confused as to what I am critiquing about, please read Harry's blog thorughly beforehand, because I will not be restating his points. I find this approach to be much more direct and less time-consuming for both the reader and myself.

There are 3 points I'd like to cover through the course of this post. Let's first talk about the first-person narrative. I found your first sentence in your argument to be confusing.
"Rebecca Black's first person narrative really wasn't what we should call "first person narrative." First-person or not, if yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday."
The main concern that I had was that the lyrics you used to support this topic were not in third person at all. Like what Vonnegut did in SH5, Rebecca Black only uses first person in various parts of her song. The beginning describing her personal life is narrated in 1st person; however, Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday, are simple claims that seem irrelevant to this subject.
You also made a point about connecting to the listeners' thoughts and feelings.
If Rebecca Black was trying to connect to the listeners, she could have tried in a more emotional level.
Keep in mind that Rebecca is trying to connect to a younger audience that has yet to mature. So while these lyrics may seem unrelatable to you, a brilliant academic student in Grade 11, they may connect instantaneously with a 3rd Grader who's stress-free and just looking forward to a Friday. I think the biggest misunderstanding in your claim was in thinking that Black is trying to reach out to listeners like you; instead, I felt that she had the intention to target a different younger, less mature audience. Thus, I believe that her 1st person perspective is still valid, as it still tugs at the heartstrings of young boys and girls, who DO wake up for school, and who DO eat cereal everyday. You are still absolutely right when you claim that her life adversities do not apply to older people, who on the contrary, may think these lyrics are repetitious and bland.

Next up is regarding the various perspectives. First off, I felt that you were being a little too harsh on Rebecca Black. Your post was supposed criticize my connections and ideas, and yet, I felt that you were constantly hashing out on Rebecca Black instead, deploring her, for lack of a better word, 'substandard'  lyrics.
You made a great emphasis on how the rapper choose to use a school bus to convey his emotional excitement. And once again, I have to remind you, these are little kids that are listening to this music. What better way is there to connect to these young people who hop on and off a school bus five days a week? I can see why the rapper would choose to relate using a school bus. Tell me harry, when you were a kid, if you ever took the school bus, did you ever have those days when you just couldn't wait to get home, and you'd jump off the school bus as soon as you could? I think the rapper was trying to recall these nostalgic moments that every child who takes the school bus has felt, and transfer that energy into enjoying the song Friday.

And lastly, there is the concept of fate. I can understand why you would have mixed feeling for this one, Harry, as this idea is quite original and daunting. The major problem I had about your argument for this one was how you focused too much on whether Rebecca Black did or did not have the intentions of incorporating fate, rather than discussing the connection itself. Whether Black intended to make these profound connections does not matter. In class, when we discuss our novels, do you think all of the ideas presented by our peers are those the authors had in their minds when they were writing their books? Definitely not all of them. The joy in every fine piece of artistic medium is how many people can have different interpretations. What matters is how you defend your personal interpretation. In my blog entry, I made a far-fetched connection, as you said. However, I was slightly disappointed in your response because I wanted to read about the flaws in my argument, such as whether I had justified it enough, rather than whether Rebecca Black had intended for this idea to be present in her song lyrics.

So that's my stance. Please don't take anything personally, I really felt that you had some good ideas in your response post to my original post.

Toodles, muah, hugs and kisses,
Henry

2 comments:

  1. The rapper only rapped about driving past a school bus and checking the time to see that it was Friday (does this even make sense?), which really didn't recall any nostalgic moments because kids don't drive.

    As for your stand on Rebecca Black and fate, I stated that you looked too much into Rebecca Black's lyrics Henry. I thought that this was the "flaw" in your arguments. Yes, it's possible that Rebecca Black did intend us to pick up the fact that she showed fate vs. free will in her music video. But it's not as easy to pick up, compared to Vonnegut, who pretty much throws his ideas into the reader's face. Artistic interpretations are fine and all, but there's a clear difference between what the author COULD HAVE INTENDED TO show and what the author DID show.

    And I believe that there is some sort of problem with consistency in your writing Henry. You argue that Rebecca Black intended the song to be enjoyed by little children, yet fate vs. free will is a pretty heavy topic for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word association with school bus, I believe, is enough to trigger an emotional response for listeners. This is definitely debatable. And you bring out a very fine point when you discuss the driving incongruency! This issue has actually stirred a intriguing response in the online community. Adding on to what you said, the scene when Rebecca Black is driving with her friends also seems odd, because it is generally assumed that her peers are under the legal age limit for driving. I personally do not know what to think of this! Maybe there is an ulterior motive here, or it could just be a mistake on RB's behalf! Tell me what you think!

    Interesting approach to the flaw issue Harry. What I meant was discussing the actual lyrics and whether it made sense with my connection. However, I think we've both presented our sides clearly, and there is nothing left the discuss

    Rebecca Black's skill lies in exactly this, Harry! She is appealing to both the older, mature audiences, and the younger children because of her mastery in combining superficial direct simple lyrics with ones with deeper meaning! This ties back to her goal of creating music that is universal; joining the world through music. (Attn: readers: read my original 1st blog if you have no idea what this is about)

    I encourage you to make an official response to my response on your response to my blog if time permits! It would be quite interesting!
    Muah, hugs and kisses,
    Henry

    ReplyDelete