Welcome!
Here lies Henry, a dashing fellow who selects a theme and discusses various examples
where the theme applies to his personal life.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Vonnegut deserves vulgarity

One late night, I decided to do some background research on Dresden. I thought, anyway, that it would probably be a good idea to understand where Vonnegut's ideas were coming from before I read SH5.
Here's what I discovered:



Comparing these before and after pictures, do you think it is fair for Vonnegut to exploit the vulgar side of war? Keep in mind that the poor fellow had to view these traumatic experiences first-handedly. What he witnessed in his lifetime would undoubtedly affect his writing.

Rather than viewing this aspect of his writing so negatively, why not embrace it? It is true that what Vonnegut witnesses in real life adds a scathing, sometimes macabre tone in his books. However, I think that it provides an important realistic perspective. All books can't be flowery and nice. A gruesome detail here and there only encourages the reader to realize that war is too often glorified in texts. SH5 only serves as a faithful reminder of the real brutality and misery of war. And that's no reason to censor his book. Give Vonnegut a break.


Until next time!
Henry

2 comments:

  1. I think the pictures make some good connections to books. The nice, coloured picture is okay with everyone, but the war picture is sort of dark and many people only see it as "black and white" (ban it or not?) due to its dark theme.
    And thus, I have also made a connection with the book and some pictures.

    And sorry for also being such a grammar gestapo but

    "And thus, I have have made a connection with the book and some pictures. I will also continue to post comments on other people's blogs. "
    You wrote "have" twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good connections harry! Supporting comments are always appreciated on my blog wall!

    and also, I realize that my erroneous grammar is completely unacceptable. I apologize to any inconvenience this may have caused to my valued peers, and will strive to write with better coherence next time. Thank you harry.

    ReplyDelete